CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 27, 2008

A Time For Recovery

Chris asked me the other day if this is who I still see when I look at her. I answered "No, the woman I see is even more beautiful and much more wise". I certainly appreciate her more now than the self-centered kid I was then.
The chemotherapy has taken it's toll, but not near as drastically as treatments some other cancer patients have had to go through. She lost about 2/3 of her hair, but that looks like it has already started to come back. Of more concern to me, is the nerve damage she has suffered in her extremities. (hands and feet are numb) hopefully that should improve in about 6-12 months. She's concerned about the weight she's put on with the anti nausea medication that she's had to take. (you're supposed to keep nibbling) The problem that affected her the most was probably the fatigue. She has slept a lot, but that's something that will correct itself soonest.
Now she goes into the "monitoring" phase of her treatment. We expect a clean slate because we will be working to keep ourselves healthy.

("Why?" you ask, and I answer "Read below!")
.
.
Well, hopefully, we are through the worst of it.


Christine has completed her chemotherapy regimen and is ready to get on with her life. While I have hated seeing what the poison has done to her, we both hope and pray that the treatment has lifted her into the "cured" column when we add up the pluses and minuses.


Here's what we've learned:


1- Cancer is mostly preventable. There are foods that help prevent cancer, and when we ignore that fact, we are being stupid! Our diets should be high fiber (and must include flax seed) and we should limit our intake of red meats and processed foods. This is not hard to do. It doesn't cost any more, and in most cases will cost less than eating what's bad for us.


2- Early diagnosis is critical. The longer you bury your head in the sand, the worse your prognosis is going to be. Do not ignore your body! If you have symptoms, find out what they mean. (Our medical system is rated at 39th in the world and slipping. You must take control of your treatment options!)


3- Don't allow yourself to be sold or bullied into treatment you don't need. (This includes being "assigned" to a doctor you don't know or trust.) This is part of "taking control" Don't be lazy. Do your homework and insist on being in on all decisions.


4- Push yourself to do as much as you can. Life doesn't go on hold during chemotherapy. Do as much as you can, it helps keep up your attitude and that is critical to healing.

6 comments:

Gini said...

It's good to hear the chemo is over!!! I hated seeing her so sick. Mom said she goes in for her cat scan on the 31st, is that still the date?

Christine and Ronnie Brown said...

Yes, although I think it's another excuse to run up the insurance bill. I think the more meaningful scan will be in 6 months and a year from now.

Elizabeth Robyn Jones said...

YAY Mom! You're through the nasty stuff. Now hopefully all you have to focus on is feeling better and better all the time.

We love you!!!

Bracan said...

C&R, this time of year I always think of your great halloween adventures in decorating, so much so, that I often am haunted in my dreams of Ron and his antics. My thoughts are will both of you! Love, Brac

Gini said...

Hey Dad, are you all set for Halloween tonight?

Anonymous said...

Although we have differences in culture, but do not want is that this view is the same and I like that!